I walked home, fatigued from a grueling day at the
office. I wasn’t looking forward to a lonely house for the night, but my wife
had gone over to her mother’s town. Switching on the TV, I grabbed some
leftovers and fixed myself a moderately acceptable dinner, settling down
comfortably onto the couch and flipping through the channels to where a random
football match was being aired. I don’t know when exactly I dozed off, but I
woke up to my upside down plate of food staining my shirt a deep brown. It
would be a bother to clean. A strange tapping had roused me from my sleep. Not
bothering to pick up my spectacles from the floor, I ambled towards where the
noise was coming from, not bothering to check where I was going, groggy from sleep.
The lack of spectacles had blurred my vision extensively. Pulling open the
door, I came face to face with a man of my height and similarly gelled black
hair. But his eyes were clearly a flaming red. Lenses, maybe? Maybe it was Halloween,
work usually made me lose track of dates.
“Hello, sir, what do you want?”
The strange man gave no reply. I tried to smile, but it came out as a grimace, distorted by sleep. I tried once more.
“What do you want?”
The man had no reply. A weirdly shaped arm extended towards me, and black spots danced in my vision. I was choking, and my windpipe felt like it was going to collapse soon. I tried to back off, but something invisible held me there. Eventually, I lost the battle, falling to the floor with sharp pain shooting through my veins. The last thing I saw was a smirk, the teeth like glistening daggers of green. But my memory couldn’t be relied upon.
“Hello, sir, what do you want?”
The strange man gave no reply. I tried to smile, but it came out as a grimace, distorted by sleep. I tried once more.
“What do you want?”
The man had no reply. A weirdly shaped arm extended towards me, and black spots danced in my vision. I was choking, and my windpipe felt like it was going to collapse soon. I tried to back off, but something invisible held me there. Eventually, I lost the battle, falling to the floor with sharp pain shooting through my veins. The last thing I saw was a smirk, the teeth like glistening daggers of green. But my memory couldn’t be relied upon.
The next morning, clutching my head, I slowly awoke.
The happenings of last night flooded into my brain and I looked towards the
door. Only to find that it wasn’t a door at all. My own reflection in the
mirror glinted beguilingly at me, as if it knew, as if it was laughing at me.
No comments:
Post a Comment
You can share your feedback with me here!
Thanks!
~ WWS.